10
9/02/2014
@6:12 PM
Social Circles
In high school, students are normally stuck with one another for the next few years of their lives. It isn't necessarily a bad thing because it encourages students to befriend each other. Each class usually has roughly 25 students and there's only a few subjects to take. So chances are students will often see their friends.
At uni, it's not really the same. Classes, especially lectures can have hundreds of students and there is a lot more freedom in choosing lecture times. As a result, the probability of seeing someone you met in a lecture be in the same tutorial or practical is minuscule. Due to less time spent seeing the same people, it's difficult to make new friends.
Another challenge is sometimes friendship groups from high school transfer over to uni. The people in a friendship group already know each other. As an outsider, it can be hard to integrate yourself into that group.
At uni, I've met numerous people but most of them aren't my friends - they're more like acquaintances. I see them time to time and we exchange a few words but it never becomes anything more than that. It's a repeating cycle. I talk to new people and become acquaintances. I meet new people and become acquaintances. The end is result is always the same.
Why? There are probably a multitude of explanations. I'm introverted and naturally quiet. My hobbies aren't common and as a result people could find me boring. My mind goes blank when I'm talking to people. Consequently I can't hold conversations and people can be more selective in choosing friends at uni because they meet more people.
I've noticed throughout the years my social circle has grown larger but simultaneously I've drifted away from people and grown closer to others. I could say that uni has been one of the major factors influencing the change in my social circle. Perhaps people no longer have the time to spend with others due to new responsibilities. Maybe I don't have things in common with people I once knew. Though one thing I did learn from this is good friends are hard to come by in life.
W.T
Labels: 010, uni, Will Tai
ABOUT
The Author
Hello! I'm WT and currently a university student.
ABOUT
This Blog
A blog about the daily ramblings of my life.
» Blog name: W.T ♣
» URL: https://will-tai.blogspot.com
» Blog started since: 27/05/2014
» Blog best viewed in Google Chrome; 1600x900 or above